The history of Mission Viejo, which was incorporated as a city in 1988, dates back to 1769, when the land was claimed for Spain by Gaspar de Portola. After Mexico´s independence from Spain in 1821, Rancho Mission Viejo and several other ranchos were acquired by an Englishman named John Forster. In attempting to run over 200,000 acres of cattle land, Forster´s capital was depleted and after his death the Rancho was sold by his sons. In 1963, the grandchildren of Irish cattleman Richard O´Neill who acquired Rancho Mission Viejo in 1907, sold 10,000 acres to the Mission Viejo Company. In 1965, a master community plan was adopted for Mission Viejo and in April 1966 the first residents moved into their new homes and neighborhoods. The city encompasses over 17 square miles and consists of single detached and attached homes, condos, apartments, a large mall called The Shops at Mission Viejo, a large lake (Lake Mission Viejo) surrounded by Condos and luxury water front homes. The city also boosts one of the finest medical centers in Orange County, Mission Hospital and is the home to Saddleback College.
There are no schools near by this property.